Be the mummy that says yes…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As breakfast dates go this has to be one of my favourite mummy and son moments lately. Not only because the force was with us, he looked so cute as we wandered around town, but mainly because it was just me and my boy and he is such a pleasure to be around. He’s growing up one breakfast date at a time at the minute which if truth be told is taking my breath away.

Mr H was revising for an exam so we escaped for a few hours to allow him to study. I crave a little time just us. When I think back to those first few months when I was on maternity leave I am filled with so much joy, so many happy memories. Of planning our days around feeds, baby sign lessons, swimming and play dates. Recently we have introduced a new Saturday ritual to our weekly routine and this week I had the pleasure of spending a little one on one time with our gorgeous boy. We planned our morning around snuggles, visiting the library, a breakfast date and picking out some pretty blooms.

We took ourselves off to our local library, we found a quiet little spot in the children’s corner, sat cross legged on Lil G’s instruction as he does at school and we read a few books together. Something so ordinary, simple things, beautiful moments together. Reading really does soothe the soul. Lil G loves to read and so we are embracing his love for books.

I love that my gorgeous boy chose to escort me on our little breakfast date dressed as a Stormtrooper. He made so many friends on our travels. So many glances, smiles and chuckles from passers by as we wandered through town. He made so many people smile. He makes me so proud. This little boy brings so much joy to my world, to our little family but also to those around him. He truly is a special little boy, so innocent, so unaware of how the world around him can be so cruel. He has the biggest heart and the sweetest nature.

I’ve noticed lately that he’ll stop me and say mummy, I love you. For no other reason than to tell me so. He will come and sit by me, asking can I have a cuddle? He whispers the sweetest words in my ear and often says its our secret. I find myself holding him a little tighter each time he does so. I feel blessed to be the one he calls mummy.

IMG_4263

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

PicTapGo-Image (26)

My main goal is to be the best mummy I can be. To try my best to always say yes, to fill our weekends with adventure and to never hear the words mummy put your phone down. To be in the moment, to watch over him as he draws valentines cards for all those he loves, to help him fasten his shoe laces, to play superheroes. I want to be the mummy who doesn’t think twice about putting my phone to one side and forget my blog and social channels, just for a day or two. As hard as that is, because I love to write and share but also because a weekend is when I catch up, but moments like these won’t last forever. One on one time simply can’t be replaced by playing on Instagram. And believe me I LOVE Instagram. Watching our gorgeous boy grow up is the most important thing in the world to me and I want to live his adventures through his eyes, to be in the moment.

I ignored my blog for two days this weekend. I won’t lie I did miss it, but I loved my time with Lil G more. My blog will still be there tomorrow, next week or even next month what may not is my boys love for doodling, the cutest conversation you ever did hear and the giggles as we drank our triple hot chocolates with cream moustaches. You have to grasp these moments with both hands as they just whizz by. There is no joy to be had in letting a moment slip through the net. There is so much joy to be had in being the mummy that says yes.

As we ate our rather scrummy breakfast on Saturday morning I overheard a little boy on the next table asking his mummy to play dominoes with him, his mummy said no. This scenario was repeated a few times with a book and some lego. His mummy still said no. Lil G loves to people watch and I could see him trying to beckon the little boy over, to which his mummy replied no, the boy looked so sad, he was screaming out for some attention, meanwhile his mummy had her head in her phone. You can imagine what happened next. A stroppy little boy appeared, angry and basically causing a scene. He wanted his mummy’s attention and still she had her head in her phone whilst shouting at her boy. I felt incredibly sad.

And then this happened. Lil G wandered around to my side of the table, sat on my knee, wrapped his arms around me and whispered I love you mummy. I may have wept a little. Be the mummy that says yes.

KA x

Running in Lavender

Living Arrows

the ordinary moments

Author
      16th February 2016 / 1:16 pm

Thank you Gemma, I need to make sure I am that mummy too x

1. 16th February 2016 / 2:40 pm

So hard to do sometimes but inside we know it’s the right thing. I feel sad for the mummy who said no, she isn’t doing it to be unkind or because she doesn’t love her boy, it’s just that life is so distracting. I’ll try to be the best mummy I can, one yes at a time!

Author
      16th February 2016 / 9:23 pm

I think that’s the thing knowing what’s right. I didn’t feel sorry for her, this scenario went on for some 20/30 minutes, sadly the little boy was being ignored. Its very sad. That’s how I see it, one yes at a time x

2. 16th February 2016 / 5:59 pm

It’s a juggle isn’t it….I try to ignore social media during the day at weekends. I love how you manage to squeeze everything in…you’re a trooper…just like that little dude of yours 😉 x

Author
      16th February 2016 / 9:21 pm

Aww thank you, its definitely something to be juggled, I just think that most days the little people around us need our undivided attention. Maybe I feel so differently as I work full-time. x

3. 17th February 2016 / 2:13 pm

Oh he sounds like such a sweet little boy. I bet you are so proud 🙂 I definitely agree that sometimes it’s so important to ignore the phone and have some true bonding time xx

4. 17th February 2016 / 8:58 pm

Love this! It can be so easy to disappear into my phone rather than being in the moment with the kids. But hearing those words ‘mummy put your phone down’ really does cut deep.

5. 17th February 2016 / 11:49 pm

I love those little moments and definitely want to be a mummy that says yes too x

6. 18th February 2016 / 10:30 am

I love these moments too. He’s SO cute. Great outfit! You have a great bond. I am finding that Harry & Lottie are becoming more affectionate too and like cuddles and time together. Enjoy it and soak it all up 🙂 Jess xx #mycapturedmoment

7. 18th February 2016 / 2:49 pm

Pretty impressive costume :-). Sounds like you had a fantastic day out. Hearing the phrase: “Mummy, I love you”! really is the BEST feeling in the world. #MyCapturedMoment

8. 20th February 2016 / 9:01 am

Ah KA, yes, yes, yes to all of this!! How wonderful that your boy loves books and reading. My girls love books but reading, not so much – it’s a bit of a struggle in our house. They much rather I (or Mr H) read to them. I try to be a Yes mum as much as possible and have got much, much better about putting my phone down in the past six months. That cannot wait until they’re in bed ; )

Thank you so much for linking up to #mycapturedmoment xx

9. 20th February 2016 / 7:24 pm

That looks like the perfect breakfast date to me – and I love that he is dressed as your protector! #MyCapturedMoment

10. 22nd February 2016 / 8:47 pm

What a beautiful post and I know you have such a special bond. It must have been so sad to overhear the little boy who just wanted his mummies attention. Yes we live in a world full of media, but sometimes we need reminding we need to turn everything off for really important family time. Thank you KA xx

Author
      5th March 2016 / 10:10 pm

You’re so right Tracey, so important to just switch off, I’ve not touched my blog in pretty much two weeks and I’ve noticed how much extra time I have had with Lil G x

11. 23rd February 2016 / 11:49 am

What a delicious breakfast! I love your little man’s outfit, my T would love it! It is so hard to juggle everything together x #MyCapturedMoment

12. Eloise
    26th March 2016 / 2:10 pm

I’m sorry but how do you know what was going on for that family next to you?? I’ve been that woman – after hours at home on my own trying to please my baby, going mad inside my own head because I can’t seem to get it right. I’ve mustered everything I have to get out in public because it makes me feel safer when I’m like that. And I’ll probably have been on my phone, desperately texting my husband, hoping he can spare a minute to talk to me and support me whilst he’s out at work. And yes, my baby would have been screaming for my attention but I need to look after myself too.

Don’t judge people you know nothing about.

Author
      26th March 2016 / 9:18 pm

There is a huge difference between the needs of a baby and a grown child. The child in question was at least 5/6 and therefore I do believe you have to approach things differently. Yes you need to look after yourself, that’s paramount to staying sane but ignoring your child who is getting more and more frustrated is not the answer in my opinion. There anger only fuels your upset. The answer is to switch off to you and focus on them in my opinion. They’re just looking for some attention, we brought them into the world so we know them at least that. Thank you for reading and commenting