Threenager years

Introducing the Threenager years. yes that’s right not teenage, Threenage *adds word to dictionary*. That would be the term loosely associated with our toddler, right now. It would appear that we escaped the terrible twos pretty unscathed in comparison to what our soon to be 3-year-old toddler is currently treating us too. I use the term treat loosely too.

Such is the prerogative of a toddler right?. Isn’t he programmed to argue against every boundary that we (or should I say I) set. Mr H is a soft touch. I was always destined to take on the role of disciplinarian in this family. It’s a tough role I tell you, always being the one to say No, or as the books tell me, finding an alternative to saying No. Argh

Apparently this role came naturally to me. Mr H tells me this is because I’m bossy, and many of my friends I’m sure would agree. I may have been called Little Miss Bossy at primary school, in fact the Mr Men Little Miss Bossy book may have been written about me. (written by a Hargreaves too! Ps that’s our surname by the way).

That would be me!

That would be me!

In the early days when I was on maternity leave, I was the one who spent most of my days with Lil G as a baby, setting boundaries around eating, sleeping, nap time, bedtime and routine in general. Some would say, we had a good baby, which I would agree with. On the other hand, I am a firm believer in routine. Thankfully taking the hard-line worked for us.

The same cannot be said for the toddler tantrums which have recently entered our lives. I’m not afraid to say that they are beating us. Sssshhhh don’t tell the boy! How is it that we find ourselves arguing with a toddler, who always seems to be the one shouting ‘I win … I win’. We’re not meant to laugh, but he seems to understand that he has won and takes great pleasure in it too.

We are losing battles daily at the minute. We have gone from having a very amenable toddler to a tantrum throwing, argumentative, unruly threenager. Eek. Help. Rather than the naughty step, we’ve just introduced the 1,2,3 rule, which seems to be working. *holds breath with fingers crossed*

As I wrote this post I could hear the screams, the stamping of the feet, and when it comes to hearing the dinosaur roar you really know it’s bad. Hence the father’s day gift. I couldn’t help myself when I came across it. Thankfully there were no roars yesterday!

Dinosaur

The word ‘No’ flows far to freely from Lil G’s mouth at present. He refuses to bath with daddy (which is something he has enjoyed for 3 years), why, because he wants to run around naked, why, because it’s something we want him to do. It’s not his choice. He’s stubborn. Where does he get that from *puts hand up*. Like magic, as soon as he is in the bath we then have the fight to get him out of the bath, followed by the ‘I don’t want to put my clothes on’ argument again. And a way we go.

Hat

Another argument causing me a lot of pain at the moment, is the ‘No pictures’ tantrum …

Threenager

… for those of you reading this blog that know me, will understand. I am a very #SnapHappy mummy. Always trying to capture a moment. I love to take an account of every little detail. I’m surprised my face hasn’t morphed into a camera after covering it with one for so long.

Creating memories, I say. I love to look back at my pictures on a night, it brings me so much joy.

On a positive note, the ‘fussy eating’ battle we have lost for the last 12-months seems to be taking a turn for the better. One day, some 12-months ago, Lil G decided he would not eat. Anything. At all. Point blank refuse. This week he has returned to eating at Kindergarten *wipes brow* and on Saturday refused to get into the bath because he wanted to eat his breakfast. We currently stand at 7 days of eating.

Please, one of you tell me that you are experiencing something just as painfully frustrating (and funny at times)? Please, one of you tell me that these threenager years pass quickly and will not render me old and grey? If I hadn’t aged enough already.

The good new is that if I catch Lil G on a good day, he still allows me to take our #Selfie ritual, where we escape for just a moment, me and him. Heaven. Something which I will endeavour to take as often as possible, so as to capture our beautiful boy grow.

Our 1st #Selfie August 2103

My Gorgeous George

#Selfie

#Selfie

#Selfie

#Selfie

1. 16th June 2014 / 6:36 am

Yes yes yes!! Me me me!!! It’s like a switch ha seen flicked on Z and he’ll have a tantrum within nanoseconds of us saying no to something. Or if we look at him a bit funny or we try to take a photo of him. It’s exhausting at the moment yet sometimes he can be like a sweet little angel. This phase will end soon won’t it? Please say yes?

• 16th June 2014 / 6:43 am

Hooray! Oh thank The Lord it’s not just us! I’m wishing it to end. Although like you just said he’s having a rather sweet moment right now x

2. 16th June 2014 / 11:39 am

This sounds like exactly what’s been going on in our house lately. Our 2.5yo has always been so agreeable and easygoing. In the past few weeks, it’s like a different child has emerged. Hopefully this is just a stage and he will soon go back to being his usual sweet self. One can hope, right?

• 16th June 2014 / 9:34 pm

Oops sorry! All good fun … Did I just say that. I didn’t mean it

3. innuendogirl
    17th June 2014 / 9:41 am

Yup! Our 3yo has morphed her ‘more confident and assertive’ personality into downright obstinate. We have, over the last couple of weeks, had outbursts of obvious jealously towards her little brother and been treated to our first supermarket meltdown tantrums. Oh. Joy.

• 17th June 2014 / 10:09 am

Woohoo I’m glad it’s not just us. We were treated to a melt down in M&S at the weekend which was particularly bad. Eek. Happy Threenager!!

4. 17th June 2014 / 7:56 pm

This scene sounds all to familiar in the Croft household! If it’s not one it’s the other. We regularly have “I want” and “but I don’t want to”. I keep reminding myself that it won’t last forever and my teenage nieces come to visit. The similarities between them is unreal!

• 17th June 2014 / 7:59 pm

Eeek … Seems so many seem to be going through this phase. We definitely got off lightly with the terrible two’s, I’d go as far to say that he didn’t suffer with them based on the meltdown he had in M&S on Saturday. Fingers and toes crossed ey!

5. 17th June 2014 / 8:00 pm

These scenes are a regular occurance in the Croft household. If it’s not one it’s the other. We regularly have “I want” and “but I don’t want to”. Just when I think there’s light at the end of the tunnel my twin nieces come to visit. The similarities in their behaviours are unreal!

6. 18th June 2014 / 9:23 am

Ha I love this. And also the pic of him with the hat, utterly delicious!!! xx #sharewithme

7. 18th June 2014 / 10:37 am

I am so with you on the done with the tantrums and no pictures mode with Buba too. He will be 3 aug 6th so not far off yours. They sound like they are going through the same phase. I don’t know where it comes from but whatever I saw seems to go in one ear and out the other. It’s so frustrating. I have to admit I lose my cool once or twice here and there I am human and it happens. But I am trying to be more understanding that he is learning new emotions and dealing with them even if he deals with them like a threenager!!! lol Love the terms. Good luck, hope we both survive. lol I have it all to come again soon with MM right behind him. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me. #sharewithme

• 18th June 2014 / 12:14 pm

Oh yes so they are close in age, blimey these tantrums are painful aren’t they. I have lost my cool too, it’s difficult not to isn’t it. I have however just started to do the 123 rule with the threat of a toy being removed which seems to be working and distracts him. #sharewithme

8. 18th June 2014 / 9:57 pm

I think three may be one of the most difficult ages! They have got just enough understanding to try and play you, but not enough to be reasoned with! I can say that at now over four and a half my eldest is so much easier to reason with! On the other hand my nearly two year old is also a stubborn little bundle – not looking forward to the threenage years with him!! X #sharewithme

9. 19th June 2014 / 7:32 am

I love the dinosaur!
    I used to be a kindergarten teacher to a bunch of 2.5 to 3.5-year-olds and let me tell you, this age is HARD. They start to have a much stronger sense of themselves as individuals and it’s the poor parents that pay the price. I’m dreading M getting to this stage (though he’s a stubborn little so-and-so already) because as a parent rather than a teacher it’s not like you can hand them back at the end of the day! #sharewithme

• 19th June 2014 / 7:54 pm

This age is certainly trying although really amazing at the same time. Wow a KG teacher, such special people x

10. 19th June 2014 / 6:00 pm

I can so relate for this and I might have a bad news as my son is 4 there is no massive development =P I am struggling with the discipline part and I am so into looking at things that will help me to discipline my little boy who thinks that he is older than me =) #sharewithme

• 19th June 2014 / 7:55 pm

Nooooo don’t tell me that! Eek … Good luck with it x

11. 19th June 2014 / 6:58 pm

What awesome photos! My threenager is now four and still pretty much the same. My other threenager is only two though… heaven help me! x x x

12. cariemay
    19th June 2014 / 9:17 pm

Aww threenager is about right! it’s that mischievous glint in the eye that says “I wonder what will happen if …”

13. 23rd June 2014 / 9:49 am

Hi *waves* new here but love this post 🙂 I have a five year old and it has been hard as I went through the terrible twos the threenager years and I have no idea what the fours and fives are but the tantrums have/can be outrageous. But looking back at the selfies – I too am an avid ‘snap-happy-lets-make-memories’ mum – I know it’s all (dare I say it) just a phase and will be worth while when you get that huggle and a kiss xcx

• 23rd June 2014 / 9:53 am

*waves* back and welcome. Oh yes they are tough, seems we’re not alone with the other comments on my blog. We do love a selfie, daddy even tried to take one yesterday! x

14. 24th June 2014 / 8:56 pm

Eek, I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news but my 4.5 year old still has days like this although mostly she is good, some days she will cry, argue, cry, strop and cry some more, for no particular reason! My 2 and a bit year old is also entering the terrible twos and sometimes they are both crying in stereo about something, ahhh, I only said they couldn’t eat the cat crunchies!! Good luck, we’ll meet you on the other side! #sharewithme